Separate fertilizer placement offers exceptional nutrient placement at a 5 or 7-degree angle
5-degree SFP opener
The 5-degree fertilizer opener:
- Is ideal for liquid and anhydrous (NH3) fertilizers
- Will also apply dry fertilizer
- Opens a smaller trench than the 7-degree opener
- Is better able to capture anhydrous and liquid fertilizer and seal these fertilizers in the soil
SFP with dual tubes Dry tube (A) NH3 tube (D)
There are four choices of interchangeable fertilizer tubes:
A) Dry fertilizer tube to be used with 32-mm (1-1/4-in.) secondary fertilizer hose from the 1910 Commodity Cart.
B) Liquid fertilizer tube (for 13-mm [1/2-in.] i.d. hose).
- IMPORTANT: Using this tube for anhydrous may cause loss of retention.*
C) Dual fertilizer delivery tube. Allows for placement of dry OR anhydrous. If applying both simultaneously, the operator may need to provide a relief system to relieve air from dry tube for adequate anhydrous retention. Without air relief, the operator will need to adjust air plenum to restrict all airflow to SFP dry tubes when anhydrous is being applied.*
D) Anhydrous tube (for 10-mm [3/8-in.] i.d. hose).*
*Liquid or NH3 fertilizer metering/delivery system is not provided by the John Deere Seeding Group.
Key features of the SFP opener are:
- 457.2-mm (18-in.) opener blades operate at 5 degree resulting in a narrow trench with less soil disturbance.
- Fertilizer tubes are interchangeable among dry, liquid, or anhydrous (NH3).
- Closing wheel assembly is closer to the fertilizer delivery tube; provides increased fertilizer retention.
- Closing wheels are base equipment on anhydrous openers and optional on liquid and dry openers.
- NOTE: Closing wheels are recommended when dry soil conditions are common.
- Extended-wear (chrome alloy) fertilizer boots are standard equipment.
- Bearings are sealed and non-greaseable.
- Choice of three gauge wheels
- Depth adjustments in 6-mm (1/4-in.) increments from 13 mm to 89 mm (1/2 in. to 3.5 in.) deep.
Opener furrow-closing wheel
The 25-mm x 305-mm (1-in. x 12-in.) cast closing wheel follows the press wheel to close furrow, placing soil over seed or fertilizer after the press wheel secures seed in furrow.
- A double-row ball bearing to reduce wear is located in the arm of the closing wheel
- Mounted parallel to the furrow opener, the closing wheel can be adjusted laterally to allow running on top of furrow for sandy or mellow soils or to side of furrow for heavier soils
- Down pressure is adjustable from 11.8 kg to 19.5 kg (26 lb to 43 lb) (no tools and three adjustments)
- A grease fitting in the pivot arm provides free movement for the arm
NOTE: The closing wheel is optional on the fertilizer openers.
Opener gauge wheel
114.3-mm x 406.4-mm (4.5-in. x 16-in.) semi-pneumatic wheel gauges depth.
- Standard steel rim gauge wheel for conservation applications
- Optional smooth plastic hub for minimal soil disturbance in mellow soils
- Depth can be controlled from 6-mm to 89-mm (1/4-in. to 3.5-in.) in 6-mm (1/4-in.) increments (13 total adjustments)
- Runs on sealed, double-row tapered ball bearings
76.2-mm x 406.4-mm (3-in. x 16-in.) gauge wheel (optional)
- Provides less stubble or residue disturbance
- Depth can be controlled from 6-mm to 90-mm (1/4-in. to 3.5-in.) in 6-mm (1/4-in.) increments (13 total adjustments)